Thursday, January 06, 2011

Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life

by C.S. Lewis
Dakota County Library
audioCDs read by Geoffrey Howard
genre: autobiography, faith

This was much more intellectual than I expected. Not a title I would share with those I want to witness to. The portion of his story that is actually about becoming a Christian is tiny compared to all the parts of his early life that made him a determined atheist. Still, this was so interesting to listen to. Howard's voice is wonderful - it seemed as though I were listening to Lewis himself.

Some of my thoughts on this: I'm so very glad that I didn't go to an English boarding school as a young boy in the early twentieth century! Between this and Roald Dahl's Boy, I think it sounds like a wretched experience. Lewis' metacognition is fascinating. What an incredible mind. This makes me want to re-read some of his other work. His friendship with J.R.R. Tolkien also fascinates me. I would like to read more about the Inklings.

No comments: