Monday, April 05, 2010

Kim

by Rudyard Kipling
Hennepin County Library audioCD 10.5 hours
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: historical fiction / classic literature / adventure

I don't think I would have ever read this text cover-to-cover. I was curious about this legendary Kipling story, but I struggled to finish it even in audio version. The narrator was wonderful, but the story meandered too much for me. There was a lot of it that I missed because the names and some of the ideas just didn't sink in. I think I'll just summarize here by copying from the back flap:

"Kimball O'Hara is . . . (covered by barcode) . . . streets of India. As a boy, he shows self-reliance and resourcefulness, running errands for Mahbub Ali, who works for the British Secret Service. Kim also meets a Tibetan lama who is on a quest to be freed from the Wheel of Life and becomes his disciple. Together they have wonderful adventures on the exotically colorful Grand Trunk Road through the Indian countryside. Then Kim is pulled into the great game of British imperial espionage and becomes a member of the Secret Service, even capturing documents from the enemy spies. Yet Kim is greatly attached to the lama and begins to feel the conflicting pulls between a life of contemplation and one of action."

I don't regret reading it, but it wasn't one that I enjoyed a lot. Kim, along with The Life of Pi, and one other that I read in the past year that is set in India (Ann's book club title . . . ) all give me an interesting idea of what India is like as a country and a culture.

No comments: