Monday, February 08, 2010

The Lost Symbol

by Dan Brown
my sister's copy, hardcover, 506 pages
genre: thriller, mystery, suspense

I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as The Da Vinci Code. There didn't seem to be a compelling reason for the CIA to behave the way it did (both initially, when they were draconian, and later when they were lenient). The "national disaster" seemed overwrought. The nasty gory stuff was interspersed with long diatribes about ancient mysticism and it just didn't work for me.
What did I like about it? The Washington D.C. lore - I love that city! It's gorgeous and I could spend weeks there, exploring its treasures. An interesting note about this book - really short chapters make it seem more like a "quick" read (133 chapters plus a prologue & an epilogue).

That said, I'll put other people's opinions in the comments below.

1 comment:

Mary Verbick said...

from Mary Verbick:

Alert! Spoiler below this point!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved the book. I appreciate an author who can surprise me and Brown surprised me twice. Our hero wasn't really dead and neither was the evil son! He was also very artful in the way he wove the theme of symbols throughout the story. His writing is intelligent and he has done his research. I connected to the setting in DC because I lived there for three years. Here is my favorite quote from the book. Langdon is talking to Sato about the apotheosis of man and the concept of knowledge as power. The quote is a real quote from futurist Arthur C. Clarke: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."