Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination

by Neal Gabler
Carver County Library, audioCDs, 8ish hours
*abridged*
read by Leonardo Leoncavallo

I usually don't read abridgements, but I missed that detail until the story was over. This was a fascinating look at a very interesting man. In some ways, I was appalled by Disney and his choices. In other ways, I love that he overcame some very serious problems in order to become successful. The author's "voice" was odd - sometimes seeming to adulate Disney and other times painting him as a sad little loser. This makes me want to read other books on Disney. How sad that his nephew Roy just died. The dynasty belongs to others. I had never realized how huge a role his brother Roy had played in building the Disney empire. Very interesting story. The reader's voice was fine, for the most part.

No comments: