Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Goddess of the Night

part of the "Daughters of the Moon" series
by Lynne Ewing
PRMS, hardcover, 294 pages

I read this because one of my eighth graders has been raving about this series. As I expected, it was filled with darkness - tarot cards, creatures of the night, etc. The thing I didn't anticipate was the flavor of California panache. The combination of too-hip girly stuff along with the darkness just didn't work for me. I thought the story was vapid and pointless. There was some suspense, and some minor romantic pull between Vanessa and Michael.

Interesting how the author distinguishes between the daughters of the moon being "of the light" and the evil of the Atrox. It makes me wonder if the author has ever read Scripture and how she reconciles that with the philosophy put forth in her books.

No comments: