Monday, September 21, 2009

Rain Song

by Alice Wisler
Hennepin, Carver, and Dakota counties (I got three out so I could share)
paper, 295 pages

It's been a few weeks since I read this (and book club doesn't meet until next Monday), but I liked it for the most part.

I was frustrated by some unanswered questions - I hope we talk about these at Book Club:
- What was the purpose of Monet's character? What was wrong with her? What was she supposed to represent?
- Why couldn't Nicole have attended the reunion and gone to Japan later, like in August?
- Why didn't her father get grief counseling or share with anyone? As a missionary, I would think he'd have some support.
- Was it realistic that Nicole would overcome so much history to get on a plane and visit Harrison?

But overall, I liked the unfolding of the story. I loved the relationships between Ducee and everyone else. Iva was a hoot - my favorite character.

1 comment:

Alice. J. Wisler said...

Hi, delighted to know that you will be discussing my first novel tonight at your book club! I can answer all the questions you pose here, should you want to know! :-)

Thanks for reading.

~ Alice J. Wisler
author of RAIN SONG & HOW SWEET IT IS