Friday, April 10, 2009

Hanging on to Max

by Margaret Bechard
CMSW, paperback, 204 pages

Interesting. This is one of the 8th grade lit circle choices. Most of the kids I talked to really enjoyed it. In fact, one highly recommended it to me. I'm not sure, though, what about it exactly appeals to kids. Now that I've read it, I'm going to have to ask some of them.

Sam is a father at age seventeen. When his former girlfriend decides to give the baby up for adoption, Sam says he'll raise the boy (and rename him Max). Sam's father is supportive (letting them live in his home, helping Sam find a job for after graduation, etc.) but is emotionally distant and critical of Sam. Sam's mother died when he was only nine, so there are definite challenges in this family.

My favorite character was Sam's Aunt Jean, who knew how to help out and how to "be there" for Sam. The ending felt abrupt (a comment I heard from kids), but it made me cry anyhow. No spoiler here. It's a quick read, so you can find out for yourself.

No comments: