Monday, July 29, 2024

The Women of Wynton's

by Donna Mumma

friend's copy paperback 298 pages plus author's note and acknowledgements

Published: 2024

Genre: historical mystery fiction

 

I would usually list "Christian" fiction as part of the genre for our book club titles, but this one didn't seem to have faith in Jesus as a main point of the story. It was a very fun (and quick) book to read! It's a great summer read and I'm eager to have the discussion tonight.

 

Audrey Penault is the elder Mr. Wynton's glamorous, devoted, hard-working secretary. She is also grist for the store's rumor mill and has earned the nickname "Hatchet" for her cool demeanor and the perception that she gets people fired.


Vivian Sheffield owns and runs the bridal salon within Wynton's and has her friend Mirette at her right hand.


Mary Jo Johnson is working at Wynton's to support her family after her husband's accident lost him an arm. She'd rather be home with her children.

 

Gigi Woodard doesn't like working as a waitress at Wynton's but dreams of someday moving up in the world.

 

We get to know these women quickly. I liked Audrey right from the get-go and felt sad that so many of her co-workers viewed her negatively. I don't like gossip! It's hurtful and unnecessary. *** There are some spoilers below and this is a murder mystery, so proceed with caution!***

 

Page 9: "'It's 1955. Things shouldn't be that archaic.'

'Lotta things not the way they should be right now.'

They shared a long, quiet look before she did the only thing she could. She nodded."

 

I loved that Audrey was on friendly terms with Nelson, the black night security guard. I love that she brought him fresh hot coffee and cinnamon twists each morning.

 

Page  38: "Any store owner worth his grits would have recognized she wore Dior today. Junior wouldn't recognize quality if it came and bit him on his . . . chair cushion."


I like when books make me laugh. Audrey was much too polite and well-bred to use any reference more crude. This was a great observation!


Page 44: "'Age creeps up, then all of a sudden grabs and won't let go.' He groaned as he straightened his knee."


I agree, Nelson! Age does a job on a person! 


Page 48: "But in their alone times, he'd stew over her being the breadwinner. He wasn't a man, he'd say, and then slip into his dark mood and sit for days, staring at nothing and refusing to eat, sleep, or talk to her and the girls."


It's so hard to see someone struggling with depression, low self-esteem, etc. Mary Jo wanted so much to be encouraging and uplifting to her husband, but he didn't make it easy. (I liked that later in the book, she went ahead and ordered a prosthetic arm for him.)


Page 89: "She'd learned her first lesson from Miss Evelyn that day. True ladies remained calm in crises. Kept pleasant expressions on their faces and kind words spilling from their mouths. And no public tears. With lifted chin, she swallowed back the emotions now swelling to a stabbing pain in her chest."


I'm nothing like Audrey and could probably benefit from some lessons in a ladies finishing school. But I would have reacted much more vehemently at the cemetery than she did!


Page 95: "But that was time's and the good Lord's job. She could only support their work, not do the task for them."


I love that Audrey wants so much to help Mr. Wynton over the grief of losing his son, but so much more the fact that she recognizes that she can't do it for him.


Page 122: "'But when my life fell apart, Mirette helped me pick up the pieces and glue them back together. Because that is what we southern women do for one another. We pull up our stockings, forgive one another, and hold our friends close no matter what. Understood?'"


In some ways, Vivien was my favorite. She was no-nonsense and really took some of the younger girls under her wings. She was talking to Mary Jo and Gigi here, and they needed to hear that message.


Page 156: "'Always remember, pretty is as pretty does.'

As she said the words, Audrey came to mind. She'd heard so many ugly things about Audrey, but all she'd ever seen was nice."


I got a little frustrated by how long it took Mary Jo to figure this out. It made me think of the Scripture in Matthew 7:15-20. Verse 20 says, "Just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions." (New Living Translation)  Everyone's cruel gossip about Audrey and their assumptions about her behavior and attitude were so frustrating! Cissy was so fake and awful.


Page 163: "'God didn't go to the trouble of making people for them to turn around and do such horrible things to each other.'"


This whole conversation between Lilla (black cook) and Gigi is worth re-reading. They're talking about a sheriff who has killed several black people for essentially no reason. Gigi being friends with Lilla is one of my favorite things about her.


Page 199: "'You know all that plastic comes from the oil companies. Nasty, nasty business.' . . . 'I don't care if you tell me it's made of diamonds and trimmed in gold. Burping your bowls is so uncouth.'"


Mirette does not have a filter on her mouth and I love her outspokenness! She and Vivien are heading in to a Tupperware party. This scene made me laugh. (Another person was murdered in the previous chapter, so levity was welcome!)


Page 242: "Her brain latched onto the fact that Cissy's concern for Mr. Wynton seemed to have evaporated. And as a former buyer for Wynton's, she'd misidentified the designer of Audrey's suit."


I did not like Cissy at all! It made me so happy later in the chapter when Joshua said, "Hope that spot on your Lilli Ann dries soon." I'm no fashionista, but I would love to see a movie version of this book!


Page 257: "Audrey allowed Mary Jo to hug her around the neck, while Miss Vivien patted her on the back. Funny how such simple gestures could make a body feel they belonged."

 

Finally, Audrey develops some friendships with other women! And yes, hugs can be therapeutic.

 

Page  264-5: "Gigi wriggled from his grip. Money didn't make you a somebody. Her parents had taught her that, but until this moment she'd not really understood what they meant."


I was so glad that Gigi figured out what kind of man Bobby really was. It took her a while, though!


Page 281: "'I'll be asking for forgiveness for this later, but I hope he gets what's coming to him.'

'I understand. It's hard to be Christian in circumstances like these, isn't it?'"


The conversation between Mary Jo and Vivien is one I could relate to! Sometimes I wish suffering on someone who's done something awful then check myself, because vengeance is the Lord's, not mine. It's just hard sometimes to see innocents suffering and evil-doers going free.


Page 296-7: I actually got teary-eyed at the end when Audrey and Mr. Wynton went into the store! What a lovely ending to the book. I confess, I thought Audrey and Joshua would end up a couple . . . but maybe that will be a sequel. I can only hope!



No comments: