Thursday, July 04, 2024

The Last Battle

by C.S. Lewis

Libby audiobook 5 hours

Read by: Patrick Stewart

Published: 1956 (this version 2005)

Genre: YA Christian allegory, fantasy


I didn't have an entry for this title, but I've read it before! I've been seeking books to listen to while I'm working and I really prefer YA books that I've read before (like Harry Potter) so I don't have to focus on listening and paying attention as much. I've started and returned a few books that I really didn't care for, so I need to check out a lot of them for next week!


I was kind of eager to see what I had written about it . . . but alas! I don't have record of my earlier opinion.


I was a bit distressed when I started this book. Ape's cruelty to Donkey (I forget their character names), the deceptions and greed, the evil of the opening few chapters were just really upsetting. I didn't remember this!


When the children from Earth came to Narnia and when the stable became a completely different place, I was intrigued by the way Lewis created his story. I probably ought to re-read the entire series in order, but this was the audiobook available for checkout!


It was a bit concerning that the dark skinned people were portrayed as evil. It seemed very, very racist. I thought the part about the dwarves believing they were in a pitch dark smelly pit eating hay even though the reality was so different was a powerful way of showing that some people choose to reject God's grace, glory, and gifts.


The last part of the book didn't seem to fit with the first part. It seemed as though Narnia was ending, but then the killed horses, dogs, etc. were there. It was heaven and eternity . . . ? Perhaps I wasn't listening closely enough. I have the print copy of the book, so I could certainly sit down and read it!


Listening to Patrick Stewart's voice reading it was pure delight!

No comments: