Monday, July 08, 2024

Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God

by Timothy Keller

Libby audiobook 9 hours

Read by: Sean Pratt

Published: 2014

Genre: Non-fiction, Christian faith


I was on the waiting list for this for a LONG time! It surprised me, because it was published a decade ago. Perhaps Keller's death last year has renewed interest in his books. I  don't know what I expected, but my initial reaction was, "it's SO theological!"


Um, yes. It's a theology book about prayer. I love his use of Scripture and his encouragement to readers to seek out Scripture. God's Word has the ultimate say in what prayer is and should be.


One of the questions Keller raises (without his theological words like hermeneutics . . . ) is about the goal of prayer and its benefits. Are we praying for our own self or for God's glory?


He mentioned a book by Anne Lamott. It caught my attention right away! Called Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers, I thought about reading that one next. But Keller pointed out that her book encourages readers to not worry about who or what God might be - to just develop the habit of prayer. He also asks the pointed question: what about confession and repentance? Yes, we pray in adoration of God (Wow), we pray thanksgiving (Thanks), and we ask for his intercession (Help), but we also need to pray confession and repentance!


I'm not 100% finished with the book but it's due in two days. I tried listening to it while working today, but I simply could not pay enough attention to track what he was saying. I may need to add more to this entry later (or get my hands on a print copy of the book!) 


The main things I've appreciated about it so far is the emphasis on being in the Word; praying Psalms; and taking time to read Scripture, meditate, then pray.


I really like Timothy Keller. I'm so thankful for his teaching and preaching. The reaction that the book is "too theological" made me feel as though I'm dumbing down as I get older. Or perhaps I'm more distracted and don't want to think too hard. Or it may be that some books really do need to be read rather than listened to!

No comments: