Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Ghostcloud

By: Michael Mann

Libby ebook 43 chapters

Published: 2022

Genre: YA fantasy

 

"A riveting, magical escapade about finding friendship and the courage to set yourself free against all odds. Kidnapped and forced to shovel coal underground, in a half-bombed power station, 12-year-old Luke Smith-Sharma keeps his head down and hopes he can earn his freedom from the evil Tabitha Margate."

 

Not quite how I'd describe the book, but it's enough to jog my memory. Luke can do a half-human, half-ghost thing where he glides through the sky on his kite-shaped personal cloud. Full ghost Alma taught him how after he rescued her from a vent / trap in the power plant. 

 

Ravi is Luke's closest friend underground. Jess is the new girl who can't shovel coal very well, but she knows a lot about plumbing and pipes.

 

I liked the way Mann writes - the descriptions and details are imaginative.

 

I didn't like the power that Tabitha had over the children, their families, the city, etc. Her level of evil is pretty deep. I wasn't sure what era it was set in . . . the war, destruction, and poverty could have been in any era! But the alternate names for items made me wonder if this is set in the future? Or an alternate London? 


Anyhow, I liked the climax of the story and the children being freed. Tabitha getting away just sets up the sequel.

No comments: