Monday, July 01, 2024

Misfit Mansion

 by Kay Davault

readers advance copy paperback unpaged (about 300?)

Published: 2023

Genre: YA graphic novel, supernatural, relationships


I didn't think I'd like this one, but it surprised me. On its surface, it's a story about a huge house hidden in the woods filled with various monsters, ghosts, etc. A human, Mr. Halloway, goes out to find these misfits and bring them back to the house. Iris isn't happy there. She wants to go out into the world and be with people. 


The part I liked best is that in the midst of this story of weirdos / misfits, the ideas of identity, belonging, and caring relationships is interwoven beautifully. 


There's also a funny / not funny part that made me toss a bookmark into the book. Iris and Mathias are talking about misfits and humans. Iris says of phones, "Humans look at it once, and then their eyes get glued to the screen!" The accompanying picture shows two adults gazing at their screens with a boy saying, "Mom, I'm hungry." The word "addiction" floats in large letters over their heads.

 

There's enough action, conflict, and interesting artwork to keep any reader engaged. My favorite was the vegetable farmer June.


This book is lovely, but I'm going to donate it. I'd love for more readers to be able to enjoy it. It's a wonderful middle school reader's level! I may look for more books by this author.

No comments: