Thursday, August 01, 2024

The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax

by Dorothy Gilman

Libby audiobook 7 hours

Read by: Barbara Rosenblat

Published: 1970 (this version 2019)

Genre: mystery


I'm laughing at myself because I've read this book in print a bare minimum of three times over the last twenty years and don't have a blog entry about this specific title! This is #2 in the series and most of my blog entries are about the fact that I'm re-reading spy novels.


I like Sandor, the young people excited to meet English speakers, the love-in, Collin Ramsey's increased confidence, . . . 


I don't like the selfish, greedy, nasty Dr. Guillaume Belleaux – Noted Criminologist in Istanbul. What an awful double-crossing "sleeper" agent! And poor Henry . . . 


Magda and even Colin's sister Mia were delightful, too. The gypsies were fine; it was nice that Colin was able to help his uncle with interviews. Mrs. Pollifax flying a helicopter was a bit much. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that easy to just get in and go.


Still, the implausabilities are part of what I like about these stories! The mysticism I could do without.

No comments: