Thursday, August 08, 2024

Child of the Owl (Reading Log)

 By: Lawrence Yep


I have to be honest: I don't remember reading this book. I just grabbed the last title on my author-sorted Excel sheet.

 

I wrote this on 3.26.2006.

 

Casey's dad Barney has ended up in the hospital after finally winning some money. Casey goes to live with her uncle Phil "the Pill" until neither his family nor Casey can stand it. When she goes to live with her Paw-Paw, Casey begins to learn about her mother, Jeanie, and her Chinese heritage.

 

Here's what I wrote for my reaction:

 

A delightful story. Casey is written as a realistic, tough character. Barney's gambling and lies are also shown very realistically. The relationship between Casey and her Paw-Paw develops richly.

 

As I'm sitting here in August 2024, I marvel that I have no recollection of this book. Sometimes I read quickly without sufficient attention, but usually these notes I've made are enough to jog my memory. 

No comments: