Thursday, August 01, 2024

Chunky

By: Yehudi Mercado

Donated paperback 201 pages plus author's note

Published: 2021

Genre: YA graphic novel, realistic with some fantasy

 

The fantasy comes in the form of an imaginary "mascot" named Chunky. The main character, Yehudi, is mostly good at being funny. His dad was an athlete and has a wall of trophies. Yehudi just seems to get hurt no matter what sport he tries.

 

I loved the author's note best. "Being 'Chunky' isn't about being fat. Being Chunky is about feeling like you don't fit in. As a Mexican Jewish kid with loads of health problems growing up in Houson, Texas, I never felt like I fit in anywhere. It wasn't until I discovered theater that I felt like I finally found my people."

 

Fun book, but I'm going to get it into someone else's hands.

No comments: