Tuesday, August 11, 2026

The Deal of a Lifetime

By: Fredrik Backman

Libby audiobook 47 minutes

Read by: Santino Fontana

Published: 2017

Genre: . . . that's a great question

 

I needed something to listen to so I could stay awake on a late night drive that was less than an hour. When I searched for available audiobooks of less than sixty minutes, most of them were children's stories that were shorter than ten minutes! But when I saw this author's name, I jumped.

 

A Man Called Ove is one of my all-time favorite books. I thought it was pronounced "Ove" like in "stove," but then listened to the audiobook and heard "Oovah." After listening to it, I had to read it in print. When I saw that the movie version had Tom Hanks as "Otto," I refused to watch it. But then I gave in and I'm glad I did. The movie is quite faithful to the story. I have since re-read the print version. I've also read My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry He's a fascinating author (and only 45 years old!)

 

This one caught me by surprise. I had to go back and start listening to it again to see where my misunderstanding of the protagonist's choices started. He's a tricky writer, that Backman. The story starts with an author's note and jumps right in to murder. But it's not what you think . . . Libby's blurb on the novella ends with, "The Deal of a Lifetime reminds us that life is a fleeting gift, and our legacy rests in how we share that gift with others."

 

Libby also says this is an illustrated book . . . so perhaps I want to check out and read a copy of it. 

 

<I've already had "4 readers" - humans or AI bots? since I published this seven hours ago. I was sorting through some of my papers and found a slip that had notes I had jotted in my car. I'm adding these below.>

 

Helsingbore - the name of the place in Sweden where the protagonist lives (I had written "Helsing Boring" . . . because that's what it sounded like!)

 

wind from below - two different times, this was mentioned. I am not going to search for it. It's possible that it's simply the feeling when your coat isn't long enough and the wind "catches" you from underneath.

 

letter to son from dad

 

woman (death?) in grey jumper

 

death / legacy / life - these have definitely been on my mind lately. I think I'll enjoy reading the book

 

misleading! 5 y.o. girl with cancer, 40-something famous man also with cancer

 

"The only thing of value on Earth is time." - great quotation! 

No comments: