By: Charles Finch
Libby ebook
Published: 2007
Genre: historical detective mystery
Charles Lenox Mysteries book 1
This author writes the kind of detective mystery I enjoy! Set in London in the 1860s, Charles Lenox is a well-to-do gentleman who solves mysteries that come his way. Even though the book auto-returned an hour ago, Libby just let me re-open it. I started to just share impressions (below) and will now add in my highlighted portions.
I loved Lenox's love of comfort! Sitting in front of a fire with warm, dry feet sounds lovely. The bit about the boots and Skraggs' recommendation was a nice touch.
Chapter 1: What bliss was there to compare to a warm fire, fresh socks, and buttered toast on a cold day!
There were more passages like this. It just made me feel warm and cozy to think of coming in from the cold and sitting by the fire. Bliss.
Lenox has good people in his life - his neighbor and childhood friend Lady Jane, his brother Edmund, his friend Dr. McConnell, his valet / butler / friend Graham . . . I loved the characters in this story.
Chapter 1: Lenox hadn't changed, in his own estimation; and yet of course he had, as all men do.
Yes, we all change over time. Hopefully for the better! I liked the character of Charles Lenox.
Classic mystery elements - clues, suspects, danger - all here.
Introduction: Italo Calvino once said that the boredom of childhood is different, richer, and more special than the boredom of adulthood, "full of dreams, a sort of projection into another place, another reality."
In the introduction, I got to know a little about the author and what led to the creation of this character and book series. I love that he wrote, "I got there through reading, as surely as the Pevensies got to Narnia through the wardrobe;" His love of reading and his imagination have really taken him places!
Chapter 31: This was also a time when the symbolism of flowers was in great vogue, and all the young girls carried bouquets with private meanings.
This was fun! It made me think of Enola Holmes and The Language of Flowers and other books that have this flower language "thing."
Chapter 49: . . . the boys were outside to play a complex ongoing game, which nobody but them could understand.
This made me think of Calvinball (Calvin and Hobbes) and also the games my sons would play. Fun to have bits like this in a murder mystery.
I'm kind of surprised that I only heard of this author recently. I wonder if British readers enjoy his books. Finch had never been to England when he wrote this! I've already reserved book 2 in the series.
No comments:
Post a Comment