Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Double Dutch (from Reading Log)

by Sharon Draper

Hennepin County Library audiobook on 5 CDs

 277 pages (the school library I worked at then?)

 

This review from 11.19.2007 (my Excel "reading" sheet before I started blogging) cut / paste what I wrote:

 

Tells the story of Delia, Yolanda, Randy, and the Tolliver Twins. Delia can't read, Randy's dad is missing, everyone's afraid of the Tollivers. A tornado trashes their school. They win awards at the Double Dutch Nationals.

In some ways, it was a very cool story that I could sell easily to my students. In other ways, it seemed kind of hokey. I'm not sure our kids would really "get" the jump-roping competitions - I don't think many of them have been exposed to that type of sport.

 

Floyd, Patricia R. - she had a great voice for this & was able to pull off the differentiation between guy & girl characters. The way she said "tournament" bugged me, though.

 










No comments: