Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Things We Cannot Keep

By: Amanda Cox

Dakota County Library paperback 316 pages plus a sneak peek of a book coming out in 2027 (which I did not read)

Published: 2026

Genre: Christian realistic fiction

 

I didn't like this as well as other books by Cox, but it was an enjoyable read. We discussed it Monday at book club and I loved hearing other people's impressions. Basic summary is that Teresa Baker ran away from a very difficult childhood at age 18 and became Tess Holcomb, restorer of clocks and watches. Most of the book deals with the tension of the past and present, keeping the old and letting go of the old. 

 

I really did like the antiques restoration aspect of the story. The tracing of the mystery pocket watch's history was also quite good. 

 

Page 29: Understanding what was wrong was one thing.

Being able to fix it was something else entirely.

 

There were so many times that lines like this could be applied to physical actualities (like fixing a watch) AND to things like relationships. She's a clever author.

 

Page  82: Even if DarLee had something to bequeath other than dysfunction and emotional baggage, Tess wouldn't want it. But if she still held on to anything of Granny's . . . 

 

I know it's not funny, but the way this was worded made me giggle. Tess's mom should not have been a mom. Sometimes we inherit a LOT but it's not of value or what we want. This line also turned out to be a little bit of foreshadowing.

 

Page 90: Why was it so hard to share the more tender parts of her past? He'd be willing to help her work at the snarled threads of her life story if she asked.

(Tess talking with Amos.)

 

Page 91: Until this moment, she hadn't fully appreciated just how generous her clients had been - to share your history was to offer up a piece of yourself. Even if she had something worth sharing, did she have the capacity to let people experience it alongside her?

 

Page 118: What if talking about her hidden past really would set her free? Telling Amos part of her story hadn't been as earth-shattering as her fear tried to convince her it would be. 

(Tess getting ready to share with Shannon.)

 

A huge part of the story was what irritated me the most. Tess was secretive about her past (as a teen and in her childhood!). Yes, I understand why she was secretive, but it got old. She spent so much time lamenting even though she had wonderful people who cared about her. Amos was her mentor. Shannon a co-worker and friend. Ugh. Finally, she told them about Elliot and her real identity.

 

I tagged a couple of pages where I was crabby on Tess' behalf. When Elliot cancelled their hotel room in Amsterdam to stay with a college friend without talking to Tess about it . . . especially when he was trying to rebuild trust with her . . . and then Sanne (the friend) hosting a big party when Tess just wanted to stay in her room and process things . . . This made me so crabby! At least there was yummy food to eat.

 

Page 170-1: "Before it came into his hands, he heard stories from other barracks, whispers about 'the courage watch.' They told him how the men who looked at it rallied their strength when they were weary because it reminded them of their faith."

 

I love how the watch represented courage and hope for so many people, passed from one person to the next. The watch's story was unraveled carefully. The speaker in this scene is Hendrik, the grandson of one of the watch's owners.

 

Page 245: Tess warmed at the kindness in his voice. Through every interaction with the families they'd encountered, Elliot proved he was no longer the careless and reckless boy from their youth.

 

Yes, Elliot proved himself over and over again, but Tess was very wary of him. I should be thankful for my childhood and the trustworthiness of my family and friends.

 

I'm trying not to spoil the story for other readers, but something on page 262 made me too frustrated with Tess / Teresa. I don't mean to discount the horrors of living in an abusive, neglectful home, but her decision to lie about an incident just bugged me. Again, there was something about this story that just didn't work for me.

 

Page 291: For so many years Tess had held tight to her anger, like a constant reminder that the only person she could truly count on was herself.

 

I loved Tess' walk on the beach! I love how Amos had spoken into her life over the years. This book had a very satisfactory ending. 

 

No comments: