Wednesday, September 23, 2026

The Tattooist of Auschwitz

By: Heather Morris

Libby audiobook 7 hours

Read by:  Richard Armitage

Published: 2017 (this version 2018)

Genre: historical fiction, WWII

 

This was both horrific and beautiful. Any book dealing with WWII and the Holocaust will naturally examine some of the most awful human behavior throughout history. It's hard to listen to the things that Mengele and the Nazis did to other human beings. That said, this book is very well-written.

 

Since I was listening while I drove, I made very few notes. Apparently, this book has been made into a series . . . like television? This book was written based on interviews with Ludwig (Lale) Sokolov. It was weird to have it be a love story because of the setting, but it's kind of nice that he found love and it sustained him.

 

Listening to it, I thought Lale sounded like "Lah - lay" and Tätowierer (German word for tattooist) sounded like "Tatt - oh - vee - air - ay."  Armitage's vocal work was excellent - German, French, distinguishing between different characters . . . just stellar.

 

Aaron pulling him off the death cart! And then being disappeared. Victor and Yuri and the smuggling ring. French Tätowierer selecting him, then Lale choosing Leon. So many horrible, cruel things. 

 

One thing that stood out for me was when Lale talked about valuing books and the German guard dismissing books and reading as pointless and unnecessary. It made me think of our current POTUS and his disdain for books and learning.  

 

In some ways, the story seemed too good to be true. Lale managed to get out of "hopeless" situations. He and his sweetheart both survived the camps. I'm glad I read this, but some people object to how certain situations and places were described. For me, the idea that human beings can do such evil is a cautionary tale. And I do like a happy ending.

No comments: