Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The British Booksellers

by Kristy Cambron

Dakota County Library paperback 356 pages plus author's notes

Published: 2024

Genre: adult historical fiction


I enjoyed this book, but was not blown away. I'm a bit surprised that this was chosen for our book club because it's not a Christian book at all. 

 

Main characters Charlotte and Amos are star-crossed lovers. She is an aristocrat and he is a farmer's son. She loves to play cello. He has dreams of owning a book store one day. They share a love of books and have cute little quibbles over Austen vs. Scott. She is destined to marry Will, a wealthy and titled young man.


Moving between the start of WWI and the Blitz of WWII, I'm glad the author kept each of those timelines moving forward (I kept checking the date listed at the start of each section to make sure my brain was following the correct storyline.) There was actually a little part at the start of the story that took place in 1908. Amos was one of my favorite characters.


Glossary: "Ha=ha wall: A low wall with a ditch just in front of it, keeping grazing animals out of more formal gardens while maintaining a view of the surrounding landscape."


I laughed to put a post-it note before the story even began! An Enola Holmes story I read recently mentioned a "Ha-ha wall," and I just thought it was weird and a made-up thing. I was so surprised to see it listed in the glossary of this book! I should give Nancy Springer more credit. To be fair, I listened to it as an audiobook, but still . . . 


Page 78: "The customary invitation for tea had set Charlotte and Mother off to Holt Manor again. Will sometimes appeared in the grand marble entry - and had that day - greeting them with a kiss to his mother's cheek and a wink to Charlotte."


I don't know why the wording of this bothered me so much! I read it at least four times and that disrupted the flow of the story. I had to make sure he kissed HIS mother's cheek and not Charlotte's mother's cheek. Did he completely ignore Charlotte's mother? He greeted his mother and Charlotte and said nothing to the other guest? This stopped my brain a bit.


Page 89: "'Perhaps days like this are exactly why we have books in the world. To remember that not all is lost, even if we find ourselves in the unknown. I like to think we provide a haven for the wanderer. And help him remember he has a place to call home.'"


I share Charlotte's love of books, but I think I'm with Eden in being surprised that she'd go to open a book store right after a bombing event. Charlotte's response to her daughter's expression of concern is great, however.

 

Page 158: "'We all can use a reminder from time to time that what we see and hear each week inside this cathedral is what people are actually living outside these walls. Benevolence, compassion, and love - bombs will never silence them when we put those virtues into action.'"


Yes, Provost Howard! Preach it! Live out the Word of God.


Page 211: "'You carry an emergency book?'" . . . "'Books were as necessary to us as oxygen.'"


I love when Jacob is in the air raid shelter with Eden and he remarks on her emergency supplies! And Eden's response is a version of "of course we do!"


Page 239: " ' Wayfarers and wanderers, and Coventry storytellers of old . . . we bring you The British Booksellers.' Like it? It's our new bulletin name - for all of us."


Okay, first of all, I love finding where the title of the book is really revealed. I assumed the title just referred to Amos and Charlotte and their two book shops. But then I got to this scene and had an "aha" moment. Secondly, I ended up really liking the Land Girls a lot! They added so much to the story! Dale is speaking here. She is such a fun character!


Page 276: "'Then surely you must see whatever plagues us cannot be so bad to lock us away from each other forever. I would play again . . . if my heart had a reason. And I believe if you were to share what tortures yours, then we might meet in the center of this messy, broken world we live in. And find solace in that place. To be known - isn't that all anyone truly wants?'"


Charlotte is talking to Amos here. I just really like this concept. It's good for us to be in community and connection with one another.


Page 322: "'I am curious, Sergeant, why Captain Holt here would seek to save your life instead of his own.'"


There is so much going on in the scene with the snipers, Amos, Will, and Frank during WWI! When Will is speaking in German, it's hard to know what he is communicating. I was suspicious of him. When Frank (key player!) says this, I had to rethink my opinion of Will.


Page 339: "'Alone is a place the human heart was never meant to dwell.'"


Loneliness is hard. I'm so very thankful to have lots of people I love in my life! 


Page 351: "'An artist, I'm told. Goes by name of John Piper?'"


This made me smile! I'm no art historian, but I recognized the name. Then of course, I looked him up. Yep. Pretty famous guy! And I learned that he was especially known for his WWII Coventry paintings!


We had a good discussion of this title at book club. There is so much to like about this story, but we all agreed that it was pretty predictable.

No comments: