Saturday, May 11, 2024

Freestyle

by Gale Galligan

personal paperback 259 pages plus bonus comics

Published: 2022

Genre: YA graphic novel, realistic


I was purposely avoiding the Scholastic Book Fair and the BOGO sale at NPMS. But I went to make sure the adult in charge wasn't getting overwhelmed with middle schoolers and ended up looking at the books and buying FOUR! I'm so weak-willed.


Over the rest of the day subbing, I read this book. A group of friends like to dance and really want to win a competition. The captain (Tess) gets a bit intense and angry with Cory (the narrator) for too much freestyling. 


There's plenty of middle school friend drama, but I really like how the author shared the kids' stories. Frankly, there were too many for me to keep straight, but Tess, Cory, and Sunna (his tutor after his parents get upset about his grades) make up the core of the story.


Initially, Cory and Sunna are like oil and water. But when he sees her doing yoyo tricks, he is amazed and asks her to teach him.


I really like this book and am happy to add it to my graphic novel collection!

No comments: