Tuesday, September 10, 2024

The Brightwood Code

By:  Monica Hesse

Libby audiobook 8 hours

Read by: Saydee Dickinson

Published: 2024

Genre: historical fiction


I need to start this by saying I didn't like it. 


Why did I spend eight hours listening to a book I didn't like? Because it was interesting, initially. The "Hello Girls" of WWI were telephone operators (new technology!) who went to France (and presumably other locations) to help with the war. That historical aspect was the best part of the story.


We meet Etta St. James in the "modern" time of 1918 and flash back to what happened to her as a Hello Girl earlier in the war. In the "modern" time, she is living at her aunt Tess's boarding house and working for Bell. She doesn't care about her appearance and doesn't clean up her room. She is somewhat antisocial and just in "survival" mode.


When we flash back to her impulsive 18-year old self and the decision to go to France, she seems more likable. She meets Luke and a few other people. There are codes to be memorized every day. She needs to be able to translate between English and French flawlessly and quickly.


The word "Brightwood" has huge significance throughout the story. It was a codeword. It was the one she couldn't remember at a critical juncture. It was a moment in time that resulted in the deaths of several young soldiers.


I didn't like how Etta jumped to conclusions. I didn't like that she imagined back stories and lives for the soldiers who died then was surprised or disappointed when she was wrong. I didn't like that she lied to the families. It seemed as though HER perception of these young men (and her guilt) was more important than actually trying to improve anyone else's life or situation.


It bugged me that it sounded as though the reader was saying "drawls" instead of "draws" and "drawling" instead of "drawing." She did a nice job for the most part, but this just bothered my ears.


Ugh. The "romance" scene between Etta and Theo in the locked records room in the pension building was just awkward. Then she has promo photos taken in Theo's room without his permission?! After she rebuffed him?! 


It got worse when the "past" rape scene in the switchboard call room happened. Luke was such a nasty predator. I'm so glad the Brightwood call saved Etta from actually being raped, but the trauma of the attempt was very palpable. Since Mae was able to come to the rescue, I'm not sure why Etta kept blaming herself for those soldiers' lives.


I liked Eliza (August's sister). She had a great attitude.


I had enough of Etta's self-blame. She was a victim! By the time I got to the halfway point of this book, I thought about stopping but I wanted to find out the ending. I did NOT like this book. The author's note was interesting.

No comments: