Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Sunny Makes Her Case

By: Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm

donated paperback 218 pages

Published: 2024

Genre: YA graphic novel, realistic fiction

 

I grabbed this off the free cart at work (it had some damage to the back cover) because I like Holm's work and I've read one or two other "Sunny" books. I figured I'd read it, then donate it to a language arts teacher friend for their classroom library.

 

I'm keeping it.

 

I loved this book! The 70s references were fantastic! HoJo, fondue parties, ABC Afterschool Specials, . . . this really resonated with me. Then the classic athletics vs. academics . . . Sunny and her friend Arun decide to start a debate team. This was so fun to read! I love how Sunny grew as a debater. What a fun book! (When I was twelve, my mom told me I should become a lawyer because of how much I argued.)


I marked page 157 because their debate coach, Mr. Roy (the physics teacher) says, "You're not going to meet too many people in life who agree with you on everything. So learning to understand where someone is coming from is a crucial life skill. It will make you a great debater and an even better human being."


He's talking about being able to argue either side of a topic. "Arguing for an issue you don't agree with forces you to see that issue from the other side." Wow. 

 

There's the cute guy from her summer job, Tony, who keeps trying to ask her out on a date. There's her wonderful, tell-it-like-it-is grandpa. I may need to read all the other Sunny books!


I'm definitely keeping this book on my graphic novel shelf.

 

 

No comments: